Saturday, December 4, 2010

Immigrants in America - by Natalia





Immigrants often decide to come to the USA to change their life. As an example I choose my own case. I was born, grew up and made my career as a teacher in Russia. I worked for around 20 years in different educational institutions. Unfortunately, the economic situation in my native country changed dramatically, and I, as all teachers, became a miserable worker. My wages were not enough to survive and create a family. Fortunately, I had a chance to migrate to the US to take an opportunity and change my life.

Understanding a new language can help to accommodate new conditions and make solutions. Also, speaking English well means getting a job and having an independent life. As a matter of fact, I earned a degree at the University of Moscow, and I had a long job experience, but I couldn't use my skills in my “new home” because I didn't speak English. The linguistic barrier is a first obstacle for immigrants. Therefore, I needed to use an interpreting service to manage my life. The interpreters participated in my appointments with DSHS, at hospitals and courts. 

English is the most important and useful language in the United States of America. Because of this, immigrants must to find a way to learn it. There are a variety of options to study a new language. Immigrants can apply to ESL classes, take a personal tutor, or study by themselves by listening, speaking, reading, and watching TV. Unfortunately, all these ways to learn English take time. Everyone makes his own choice about how to study a new language quickly and successfully. 

New residents need some help to feel comfortable during the time of accommodation in a new land. They participate in social life, receive medical services, resolve problems with the INS, and their children attend public schools. Poor English-speaking skills can provoke misunderstandings and serious problems in their life. All in all, it is very important to provide interpreting service to new immigrants to help them resolve problems and be full value members of society.

Natalia is from Moscow, Russia. She came to the USA eight years ago. She has three wonderful kids, one daughter and two sons. They enjoy playing outside, exercising, swimming, reading, and social life. Natalia is studying English and interpreting at PCC so she can get a good job and provide a successful life for her family. 

No comments: